4/30/2014

Different Words address Different Worlds!

Iranians shave heads to protest political prisoner ‘abuse’
http://goo.gl/nyrqp8
Every language has different worlds not just different ways to communicate. When something happens in the persian language world I cannot think about it in English. I can not read English, listen to western music when I live in the persian language world. The majority of persian speakers live in certain parts of the world but the persian world is not attached to a specific geography. When I think in english, I can't focus on what happens in the persian world and inversely, if something attracts my attention in the English world I can't read or even pay attention to what’s happening in Iran. I have access to different worlds but cannot inhabit them at the same time. Persian, English and French are not just labels for different words instead they are make different worlds. I can't write about same subject in different languages. Of course, I am not the same person in those different world. I have more power, intellect and emotions in the Persian world but despite  this, when I spend my time learning to read and write in English, I forget my persian world which seems to not have even existed. What is happening in the persian world grabs my attention so that I can not study or concentrate on English grammar that I need to learn for the TEOFL exam at this time.

After these years I find that when I am listening to Persian music I become detached from the geography where I actually  live. Because of this I can choose the world where I want to be  just by changing the music to which I am listening. Of course it is not that so easy when an important event happens in Iran, it captures me. Switching between these worlds takes energy and tears at my soul.To reduce the pain of switching between these worlds, I try to keep them apart. I read and write in persian at home and try to read and study english and french at the library. When something urgent happens in the persian world, and I can’t wait until I come back to my home, so In have to switch and then my spirit is mauled. such as in these two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment